Blehhhhhhhh!!!!!!!  Or how to fix (sorta) an old messed up homebrew


This really is going to be short.  The remnants of my quick experiment just slid down my gullet.  It wasn’t a bad experiment, just a quick response to a need—the need to improve the flavor of an old, slightly funky homebrew.

If you may recall, a few months ago I did a SMTHbeer.  That is a single malt and two hop brew.  Usually you do only one hop but I didn’t have enough Cascade hops so I through in just enough Centennial to up the Alphas.  It turned out to be a weak beer but one I could readily understand.  The hops were clear and the malt, though merely base, was discernible. 

Fast forward to now.  I have the remaining bottles and a sense that throwing it out is a sin simply because throwing stuff out is hard.  And a bit of a waste.  So how shall I fix this?  Use a lovin’ spoon full of sugar— in the form of berry sauce.  The sauce was made for a cheese cake and was simple:  blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and a sprinkling of sugar.

So I took a spoon full of that and added it to my pint glass before filling.  The results can be seen below:

 

experiment along side its ugly parent

 
The aroma improved.  The berries were nice with the tart and sweet.  The flavor was only a bit different from the original though with the berries adding only a smidgen of cover to the old beer flowing from the bottle and glass.

Overall it was an experiment I will try again with another bottle, but with more berry sauce.  The color was a fun side effect as well.

Advertisements

%d bloggers like this: